Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Need Assistance With Preparing Your Taxes?
VITA is an annual partnership with the University of Georgia’s College of Family & Consumer Sciences, Dalton State College and the IRS to provide free income tax preparation and filing for consumers of moderate income. Georgia United Foundation® provides funding, use of Georgia United Credit Union's Athens and Dalton branches and online appointment reservations to support this program from late January through mid-April each year.
2021 marks the 16th year of this partnership providing approximately 3,500 community residents free tax preparation and filing services annually. This partnership provides practical experiential learning for college students majoring in Financial Planning and Accounting.
If you have financial needs in the future, the Georgia United Foundation welcomes the opportunity to serve you and your family members. To learn more about banking services that fit YOUR needs, please give us a call at 888.493.4328 or visit one of our locations.
Important information to bring for your appointment:
Please be sure and bring the following with you:
- A copy of last year's federal and state returns (necessary due to changes in the Earned Income Credit rules). If not available, you can obtain a Tax Return Transcript at IRS.gov/transcript and download a copy of your federal return
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification notices/cards for you, your spouse and/or dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Your birth date and birth dates of your spouse and/or dependents
- Wage and earning statement(s), Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks or credit unions (Forms 1099)
- Records of earnings (Forms 1099 and/or cash) from self-employment and expenses related to self-employment income
- Documents supporting itemized deductions, child/dependent care, etc., where applicable
- Bank routing and transit number and your account numbers for Direct Deposit
- Forms 1095-A, B or C Affordable Healthcare Statements
- *In person appointments are subject to health screening and COVID-19 protocols will be strictly enforced